The Oppo Find N is Oppo’s foray into the foldable smartphone market, aiming to compete with the likes of Samsung’s Galaxy Z Fold series. Here’s an in-depth review of the Oppo Find N:
Launched in late 2021, the Oppo Find N is positioned as a premium foldable device, emphasizing its unique design, high-end specifications, and innovative features that cater to the foldable form factor.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 11, with Oppo’s ColorOS on top.
- Display: When unfolded, it boasts a 7.1-inch AMOLED main display with a resolution of 1792 x 1920 pixels. There’s also an external 5.49-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 996 x 1972 pixels for use when the device is folded.
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888.
- Memory: Options of 8/12 GB RAM with 256/512 GB internal storage.
- Camera: Triple rear camera setup – 50 MP primary sensor, 16 MP ultrawide lens, and a 13 MP telephoto sensor. The front camera is a 32 MP shooter.
- Battery: 4500 mAh non-removable battery with 33W fast charging.
- Other Features: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, stereo speakers, and a unique hinge design for the foldable mechanism.
- Innovative Design: The Oppo Find N offers a slightly different approach to the foldable design, with a more compact form factor when folded.
- High-Quality Displays: Both the internal and external displays are of high quality, offering vibrant colors and sharpness.
- Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 888, the device offers top-tier performance suitable for all tasks and applications.
- Camera Capabilities: The triple-camera setup offers versatility and high-quality image capture.
- Software Optimization: Oppo has made efforts to optimize ColorOS for the foldable experience, ensuring a seamless transition between the two displays.
- Battery Life: Given the demands of two screens and high-end performance, the 4500 mAh battery might not be sufficient for power users.
- Durability Concerns: As with all foldable devices, there are concerns about the long-term durability of the hinge and the main display.
- Price: Being a premium foldable device, the Oppo Find N comes with a high price tag, which might not be accessible to all consumers.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In the foldable market, the Oppo Find N faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3: Samsung’s third iteration of its foldable device, offering a larger external display, S Pen support, and a more refined design.
- Huawei Mate X2: Huawei’s take on the foldable design with its unique outward-folding mechanism and high-end specifications.
- Xiaomi Mix Fold: Xiaomi’s entry into the foldable market with a large 8.01-inch internal display and a unique liquid lens in its camera setup.
The Oppo Find N was announced in December 2021.
- Software Bugs: Given the relatively new foldable form factor, some users might encounter software glitches or inconsistencies, especially with third-party apps not optimized for foldables.
- Weight and Bulk: The device is relatively heavy and bulky, which might not be comfortable for everyone, especially for prolonged use.
- Availability: As a niche product, the Oppo Find N might not be readily available in all regions or markets.
The Oppo Find N is a commendable effort by Oppo to enter the foldable smartphone market. With its unique design, high-end specifications, and software optimizations, it offers a compelling package for those interested in the foldable experience. While there are certain challenges and concerns inherent to the foldable form factor, the Find N stands as a testament to Oppo’s innovation and commitment to pushing the boundaries of smartphone design.