The Xiaomi Mix Fold is Xiaomi’s first entry into the foldable smartphone market, aiming to compete with other foldable devices from brands like Samsung and Huawei. Here’s an in-depth review of the Xiaomi Mix Fold:
Launched in 2021, the Xiaomi Mix Fold is positioned as a premium device, showcasing Xiaomi’s innovation and design capabilities in the rapidly evolving foldable smartphone segment.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 10, with Xiaomi’s MIUI 12 on top.
- Display: When unfolded, it features an 8.01-inch AMOLED main display with a resolution of 1440 x 3200 pixels. There’s also an external 6.52-inch AMOLED display with a resolution of 840 x 2520 pixels.
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888.
- Memory: Options of 12/16 GB RAM with 256/512 GB internal storage.
- Camera: Triple rear camera setup – 108 MP primary sensor, 13 MP ultrawide lens, and an 8 MP telephoto/macro lens with a unique liquid lens technology. The front camera is a 20 MP shooter.
- Battery: 5020 mAh non-removable battery with 67W fast wired and wireless charging.
- Other Features: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, stereo speakers, and a unique hinge design for the foldable mechanism.
- Innovative Design: The Mix Fold offers a large tablet-like display when unfolded, providing a vast canvas for multimedia consumption and productivity.
- Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 888, the device offers top-tier performance suitable for all tasks and applications.
- Camera Capabilities: The camera setup, especially with the unique liquid lens technology, offers versatility and high-quality image capture.
- Battery and Charging: The 5020 mAh battery ensures extended usage, and the 67W fast charging (both wired and wireless) ensures rapid top-ups.
- External Display: The external display is fully functional and allows users to use the device without unfolding it for quick tasks.
- Durability Concerns: As with all foldable devices, there are concerns about the long-term durability of the hinge and the main display.
- Weight and Size: The device is relatively heavy and bulky, which might not be comfortable for everyone, especially for prolonged use.
- Price: Being a premium foldable device, the Mix Fold comes with a high price tag.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In the foldable market, the Xiaomi Mix Fold faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2: Samsung’s second iteration of its foldable device, offering a refined design, larger external display, and top-tier specifications.
- Huawei Mate X2: Huawei’s inward-folding design with high-end specifications and a unique camera setup.
- Oppo Find N: Oppo’s take on the foldable design with a slightly different form factor and display size.
The Xiaomi Mix Fold was announced in March 2021.
- Software Optimization: Given the relatively new foldable form factor, some users might encounter software glitches or inconsistencies, especially with third-party apps not optimized for foldables.
- Weight and Bulk: Some users found the device to be too heavy or bulky for regular one-handed use or pocketability.
- Availability: As a niche product, the Mix Fold might not be readily available in all regions or markets.
The Xiaomi Mix Fold is a testament to Xiaomi’s innovation and design capabilities in the smartphone market. With its large foldable display, top-tier performance, and unique camera features, it offers a compelling package for those interested in the foldable experience. While there are challenges inherent to the foldable form factor, such as durability concerns and software optimization, the Mix Fold stands as a showcase of what’s possible in the realm of smartphone design. For those who prioritize innovation, a large display, and a unique user experience, the Mix Fold is a strong contender in the foldable market.