The Motorola Moto G7 Plus was a part of Motorola’s popular G-series lineup, which has been known for offering solid specifications at an affordable price point. Launched in 2019, the G7 Plus was the most premium variant in the G7 series. Here’s an in-depth review of the Motorola Moto G7 Plus:
The Moto G7 Plus aimed to provide a balanced smartphone experience with a touch of premium features, all while maintaining a competitive price. With its enhanced camera capabilities and fast charging, it was targeted at users looking for a bit more than the average mid-range device.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 9.0 (Pie), with a near-stock Android experience.
- Display: 6.2-inch LTPS IPS LCD with a resolution of 1080 x 2270 pixels.
- Processor: Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636.
- Memory: 4 GB RAM with 64 GB internal storage, expandable via microSDXC.
- Camera: Dual-camera setup with a 16 MP primary sensor and a 5 MP depth sensor. The front camera is a 12 MP shooter.
- Battery: 3000 mAh non-removable battery with 27W TurboPower fast charging.
- Other Features: Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, USB Type-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, and stereo speakers.
- Fast Charging: One of the standout features was its 27W TurboPower charging, which could charge the device quickly.
- Camera Capabilities: The camera, especially for its price, delivered decent shots with the help of optical image stabilization (OIS).
- Software Experience: Motorola’s near-stock Android experience with useful Moto Actions was a plus for many users.
- Build and Design: The device had a glass back and a water-repellent design, giving it a premium feel.
- Battery Capacity: While the device had fast charging, the 3000 mAh battery was on the smaller side for a device of its size.
- Processor: The Snapdragon 636, while competent, was starting to show its age by 2019 standards.
- Competitive Market: The mid-range segment in 2019 was fiercely competitive, with devices offering better specifications at similar or lower price points.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its price bracket, the Moto G7 Plus faced competition from:
- Redmi Note 7 Pro: Offering a 6.3-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 675, and a 48 MP primary camera.
- Samsung Galaxy A50: Featuring a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED display, Exynos 9610, and a triple-camera setup.
- Realme 3 Pro: With its 6.3-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 710, and VOOC fast charging.
The Motorola Moto G7 Plus was announced in February 2019 and became available shortly after.
- Battery Life: Due to its relatively small battery, some users reported that the device struggled to last a full day with heavy usage.
- Performance Hiccups: Some users experienced occasional lags and slowdowns, especially when multitasking or running demanding apps.
- Camera Inconsistencies: While the camera was decent, some users reported inconsistencies, especially in challenging lighting conditions.
The Motorola Moto G7 Plus was a solid mid-range offering that aimed to provide a balanced smartphone experience with a few premium touches. Its fast charging and camera capabilities were its main selling points. However, in a highly competitive mid-range market in 2019, it faced stiff competition from brands offering higher specifications at aggressive price points. For users loyal to Motorola or those who value a clean software experience with timely updates, the Moto G7 Plus was a viable option. However, those looking for the best specifications for their money had other compelling options to consider.