The Sony Xperia 10 Plus was the larger sibling of the Xperia 10, introduced in 2019. Positioned in the upper mid-range segment, it aimed to offer a more premium experience compared to the Xperia 10, with a larger display and improved specifications. Here’s an in-depth review of the Sony Xperia 10 Plus:
Launched alongside the Xperia 10, the Xperia 10 Plus was Sony’s attempt to cater to users who prefer larger screens and slightly more powerful specifications without venturing into flagship territory. The device continued the trend of offering the 21:9 display aspect ratio, emphasizing multimedia consumption.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 9 Pie.
- Display: 6.5-inch IPS LCD with a resolution of 1080 x 2520 pixels and a 21:9 aspect ratio.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 636.
- Memory: 4 GB RAM with 64 GB internal storage, expandable via microSDXC.
- Camera: Dual 12 MP and 8 MP rear camera setup with 2x optical zoom. The front camera is an 8 MP shooter.
- Battery: 3000 mAh non-removable battery with USB Type-C charging.
- Other Features: Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Bluetooth 5.0, and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
- 21:9 Display: The unique aspect ratio provided an immersive viewing experience, especially for movies, and allowed for multitasking with two apps running side by side.
- Camera Capabilities: The dual-camera system with optical zoom was a step up from the Xperia 10, allowing for more versatile photography.
- Performance: The Snapdragon 636, combined with 4 GB of RAM, ensured smooth performance for everyday tasks.
- Design: The device maintained a sleek and modern design, similar to the Xperia 10, but with a more substantial feel due to its size.
- Battery Life: Despite its larger size, the Xperia 10 Plus had only a slightly larger battery than the Xperia 10, which some users found insufficient for a full day of heavy use.
- Price: Given its specifications, some users felt the Xperia 10 Plus was priced a bit high, especially when compared to competitors in its segment.
- Low-light Camera Performance: While the camera was decent in well-lit conditions, it struggled in low-light scenarios.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its segment, the Xperia 10 Plus faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy A50: Featuring a Super AMOLED display, Exynos 9610, and a triple-camera setup.
- Moto G7 Plus: With its 6.2-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 636, and a dual-camera system with optical image stabilization.
- Nokia 7 Plus: Offering a 6-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 660, and a dual-camera setup with ZEISS optics.
The Sony Xperia 10 Plus was announced in February 2019 and became available shortly after.
- Software Optimization: Similar to the Xperia 10, some users reported occasional software hiccups, suggesting a need for better optimization.
- Speaker Quality: The audio output from the single speaker was considered average by some users, lacking in depth and volume.
- Build Quality: While the design was appreciated, some users felt that the build quality could be more premium, especially given its price point.
The Sony Xperia 10 Plus was a unique offering in the upper mid-range segment, especially due to its 21:9 display. It catered to users who prioritize multimedia consumption on a larger screen. While it had its strengths, especially in terms of display and camera capabilities, it faced stiff competition in its segment. For those who value the unique display aspect ratio and Sony’s brand, the Xperia 10 Plus was a consideration, but it might not have been the best value proposition for everyone given its price and the competition.