The Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro is a high-end gaming smartphone from Xiaomi’s gaming subsidiary, Black Shark. It’s designed to cater to the needs of mobile gaming enthusiasts. Here’s an in-depth review of the Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro:
Launched in 2021, the Black Shark 4 Pro is part of Xiaomi’s dedicated gaming smartphone lineup. It builds upon the foundation set by its predecessors, focusing on enhanced gaming performance, tactile physical pop-up shoulder buttons, and a unique design language.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 11, with JoyUI 12.5 on top.
- Display: 6.67-inch Super AMOLED with a resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels, boasting a 144Hz refresh rate.
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8350 Snapdragon 888 5G.
- Memory: Options of 8/12/16 GB RAM with 256/512 GB UFS 3.1 internal storage.
- Camera: Triple rear camera setup – 64 MP primary sensor, 8 MP ultrawide lens, and a 5 MP macro sensor. The front camera is a 20 MP shooter.
- Battery: 4500 mAh non-removable battery with 120W fast charging, promising a 0 to 100% charge in just around 15 minutes.
- Other Features: Magnetic pop-up shoulder buttons, under-display fingerprint scanner, RGB lighting, and a host of gaming-centric features and accessories.
- Gaming Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 888 and coupled with ample RAM, the device offers top-tier gaming performance.
- Display: The 144Hz Super AMOLED display ensures ultra-smooth visuals, which is crucial for gaming.
- Fast Charging: The 120W fast charging is one of its standout features, ensuring rapid battery top-ups.
- Physical Pop-Up Shoulder Buttons: These provide tactile feedback, enhancing the gaming experience compared to on-screen controls.
- Gaming-Centric Features: The device offers a range of features tailored for gamers, from its cooling system to its customizable RGB lighting.
- Design: The aggressive gaming aesthetics might not appeal to everyone, especially those looking for a more understated design.
- Camera Performance: While the camera is decent, it might not be on par with other non-gaming flagships in the same price range.
- Battery Life: Despite the fast charging, a 4500 mAh battery might not be sufficient for extended gaming sessions, especially when compared to some competitors with larger batteries.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its price bracket and category, the Black Shark 4 Pro faced competition from:
- Asus ROG Phone 5: Another gaming-centric phone with a 144Hz AMOLED display, Snapdragon 888, and AirTriggers.
- Lenovo Legion Phone Duel 2: Featuring a 144Hz AMOLED display, Snapdragon 888, and a unique side-mounted pop-up camera for streamers.
- Nubia Red Magic 6 Pro: With its 165Hz AMOLED display, Snapdragon 888, and built-in shoulder triggers.
The Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro was announced in March 2021.
- Software Experience: Some users found JoyUI to be a bit cluttered and not as refined as other custom Android skins.
- Thermal Management: While the device generally managed heat well, extended gaming or high-performance tasks could lead to noticeable warmth, despite its cooling mechanisms.
- Durability: The mechanical pop-up shoulder buttons, while innovative, might raise concerns about long-term durability.
The Xiaomi Black Shark 4 Pro is a formidable gaming smartphone, offering a suite of features tailored for gaming enthusiasts. From its high-refresh-rate screen to its physical pop-up shoulder buttons, it’s evident that the device is designed with gamers in mind. While it might have certain shortcomings, especially in areas like camera performance and battery life, it excels in its niche. For those who prioritize gaming and want a device that stands out, the Black Shark 4 Pro is a compelling choice.