The Sony Xperia XA2 Plus was a mid-range offering from Sony in 2018. Positioned as an enhancement to the Xperia XA2 and XA2 Ultra, it aimed to offer a balanced smartphone experience with a focus on multimedia consumption. Here’s an in-depth review of the Sony Xperia XA2 Plus:
Introduced in 2018, the Xperia XA2 Plus was part of Sony’s mid-range lineup, emphasizing a premium design, a decent camera setup, and a focus on audio and video playback.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Display: 6.0-inch IPS LCD with a resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels and an 18:9 aspect ratio.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630.
- Memory: Options of 4 GB or 6 GB RAM with 32 GB or 64 GB internal storage, expandable via microSDXC.
- Camera: Single 23 MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture and phase detection autofocus. The front camera is an 8 MP shooter with a wide-angle lens.
- Battery: 3580 mAh non-removable battery with USB Type-C fast charging.
- Other Features: Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, and high-resolution audio with LDAC.
- Design: The device featured a sleek and modern design with a metal back and minimal bezels.
- Audio Capabilities: The XA2 Plus supported high-resolution audio and Sony’s LDAC for enhanced Bluetooth audio quality.
- Battery Life: The 3580 mAh battery, combined with the power-efficient Snapdragon 630, ensured good battery life.
- Camera Performance: The 23 MP rear camera was capable of capturing detailed shots, especially in good lighting conditions.
- Display: The Full HD+ display offered sharp visuals and good color reproduction for its price range.
- Processor: While the Snapdragon 630 was decent for everyday tasks, it wasn’t the most powerful chipset in its segment.
- Camera Low-light Performance: The camera struggled in low-light conditions, with images often turning out grainy or lacking detail.
- Software Updates: Sony’s track record with updates for its mid-range devices was inconsistent, leading to potential delays in receiving the latest Android versions.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its price bracket, the Xperia XA2 Plus faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy A6+ (2018): Offering a Super AMOLED display, Snapdragon 450, and a dual-camera setup.
- Moto G6 Plus: Featuring a 5.9-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 630, and a dual-camera system.
- Nokia 6.1 Plus: With its 5.8-inch IPS LCD display, Snapdragon 636, and a dual-camera setup.
The Sony Xperia XA2 Plus was announced in July 2018.
- Weight and Size: Some users found the device to be a bit heavy and bulky, making one-handed use challenging.
- Camera Software: While the camera hardware was decent, some users felt that the software could benefit from further refinements, especially in terms of image processing and low-light performance.
The Sony Xperia XA2 Plus was a balanced mid-range offering that brought some of the premium features from Sony’s flagship lineup, like high-resolution audio and a focus on multimedia consumption, to a more affordable price point. While it did make some compromises in terms of performance and camera software, it offered a unique package in the mid-range segment, especially for those who prioritize audio and video playback.