The Sony Xperia 1 III (often referred to as the “Sony Xperia 1 Mark III”) is Sony’s flagship offering from 2021. It continues Sony’s tradition of integrating technologies from its other divisions, such as the Alpha camera series, into its smartphones. Here’s an in-depth review of the Sony Xperia 1 III:
Launched in 2021, the Xperia 1 III is Sony’s premium flagship, emphasizing professional-grade camera capabilities, a high-quality display, and top-tier performance.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 11.
- Display: 6.5-inch 4K OLED with a resolution of 1644 x 3840 pixels and a 120Hz refresh rate. It also supports HDR10+.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 888.
- Memory: 12 GB RAM with options of 256/512 GB internal storage, expandable via microSDXC.
- Camera: Triple rear camera setup – 12 MP primary sensor, 12 MP ultrawide lens, and a 12 MP periscope telephoto lens with variable optical zoom (up to 4.4x). There’s also a 0.3 MP TOF 3D depth sensor. The front camera is an 8 MP shooter.
- Battery: 4500 mAh non-removable battery with 30W fast charging and wireless charging support.
- Other Features: Front-facing stereo speakers, 3.5mm headphone jack, IP65/IP68 dust/water resistance, and side-mounted fingerprint scanner.
- Camera Capabilities: The variable optical zoom is a unique feature, allowing for versatile photography. The collaboration with Sony’s Alpha series brings professional-grade features to the camera system.
- Display: The 4K OLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate offers sharp visuals, vibrant colors, and smooth animations.
- Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 888, the device handles tasks and games with ease.
- Audio Experience: The front-facing stereo speakers and the inclusion of a 3.5mm headphone jack are a treat for audiophiles.
- Build and Design: The device has a premium build with Gorilla Glass on the front and back and an aluminum frame.
- Battery Life: While the 4500 mAh battery is decent, the 4K display can be power-hungry, especially with the 120Hz refresh rate enabled.
- Price: Being a flagship, the Xperia 1 III comes with a premium price tag, which might be a deterrent for some users.
- Software Updates: Historically, Sony has been slower than some competitors in rolling out Android updates.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its segment, the Xperia 1 III faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra: Offering a Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, Snapdragon 888 (or Exynos 2100), and a versatile camera setup with two telephoto lenses.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: With its Super Retina XDR OLED display, A14 Bionic chip, and a triple camera setup with LiDAR.
- OnePlus 9 Pro: Featuring a Fluid AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, Snapdragon 888, and a camera system co-developed with Hasselblad.
The Sony Xperia 1 III was announced in April 2021.
- Battery Optimization: Some users reported that the battery drains faster when using the display at its full 4K resolution and 120Hz refresh rate.
- Camera Software: While the hardware is impressive, some users felt that the camera software could be improved for better image processing.
The Sony Xperia 1 III is a testament to Sony’s commitment to delivering a premium smartphone experience, especially in terms of display and camera capabilities. It’s a device tailored for enthusiasts who prioritize display quality, camera versatility, and audio experience. While it has its set of drawbacks, especially concerning price and battery optimization, it stands out in a crowded flagship market due to its unique features and Sony’s brand legacy.