The Sony Xperia 1 II (often referred to as the “Sony Xperia 1 Mark II”) represents Sony’s flagship offering for 2020. It builds upon the foundation set by the Xperia 1 and integrates technologies from Sony’s other divisions, especially the Alpha camera series. Here’s an in-depth review of the Sony Xperia 1 II:
Launched in 2020, the Xperia 1 II is a testament to Sony’s commitment to delivering a premium smartphone experience, especially in terms of display and camera capabilities. It’s tailored for enthusiasts who prioritize multimedia consumption, photography, and a premium build.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 10, upgradable to later versions.
- Display: 6.5-inch 4K OLED with a resolution of 1644 x 3840 pixels, supporting HDR10+ and a 21:9 aspect ratio.
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 865.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM with 256 GB internal storage, expandable via microSDXC.
- Camera: Triple rear camera setup – 12 MP primary sensor, 12 MP ultrawide lens, and a 12 MP telephoto lens. There’s also a 0.3 MP TOF 3D depth sensor. The front camera is an 8 MP shooter. The camera system benefits from technology and expertise from Sony’s Alpha camera series.
- Battery: 4000 mAh non-removable battery with USB Type-C fast charging and wireless charging support.
- Other Features: Front-facing stereo speakers, 3.5mm headphone jack, IP65/IP68 dust/water resistance, and side-mounted fingerprint scanner.
- Camera Capabilities: The collaboration with Sony’s Alpha series brings professional-grade features to the camera system, including real-time Eye AF and up to 20 fps burst shooting.
- Display: The 4K OLED display offers sharp visuals, vibrant colors, and is perfect for multimedia consumption.
- Performance: Powered by the Snapdragon 865, the device handles tasks and games with ease.
- Audio Experience: The front-facing stereo speakers and the inclusion of a 3.5mm headphone jack are a treat for audiophiles.
- Build and Design: The device has a premium build with Gorilla Glass on the front and back and an aluminum frame.
- Battery Life: While the 4000 mAh battery is decent, the 4K display can be power-hungry, especially with prolonged multimedia consumption.
- Price: Being a flagship, the Xperia 1 II comes with a premium price tag, which might be a deterrent for some users.
- Camera Software: While the hardware is impressive, some users felt that the camera software could be improved for better image processing, especially in low-light scenarios.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its segment, the Xperia 1 II faced competition from:
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra: Offering a Dynamic AMOLED 2X display, Snapdragon 865 (or Exynos 990), and a versatile camera setup with a 108 MP primary sensor.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max: With its Super Retina XDR OLED display, A13 Bionic chip, and a triple camera setup.
- OnePlus 8 Pro: Featuring a Fluid AMOLED display with a 120Hz refresh rate, Snapdragon 865, and a quad-camera system.
The Sony Xperia 1 II was announced in February 2020.
- Camera Autofocus: Some users reported issues with the camera’s autofocus in certain scenarios, especially in low light.
- Software Updates: Historically, Sony has been slower than some competitors in rolling out Android updates, which was a concern for some users.
- Weight and Thickness: The device, while sleek, was considered a bit on the heavier side by some users.
The Sony Xperia 1 II is a showcase of Sony’s expertise across various domains, from displays to cameras. It’s a device tailored for enthusiasts who prioritize display quality, camera versatility, and audio experience. While it has its set of drawbacks, especially concerning price and certain camera software aspects, it stands out in a crowded flagship market due to its unique features and Sony’s brand legacy.