The Asus ROG Phone II was a standout release in the gaming smartphone category, building upon the foundation set by its predecessor. Here’s an in-depth review of the Asus ROG Phone II:
Launched in 2019, the Asus ROG Phone II was designed with hardcore gamers in mind. It combined top-tier specifications with gaming-specific features and enhancements, aiming to provide the ultimate mobile gaming experience.
- Operating System: Shipped with Android 9.0 (Pie), with the ROG UI skin, upgradable to Android 10.
- Display: 6.59-inch AMOLED with a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels, boasting a 120Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time.
- Processor: Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855+.
- Memory: Options of 8/12 GB RAM with 128/256/512 GB or 1 TB UFS 3.0 internal storage.
- Camera: Dual rear camera setup – 48 MP primary sensor and a 13 MP ultrawide lens. A 24 MP front camera.
- Battery: A massive 6000 mAh battery with 30W fast charging, 10W reverse charging, and Quick Charge 4.0.
- Other Features: AirTriggers (ultrasonic touch sensors), customizable RGB lighting, front-facing stereo speakers, and a range of gaming accessories.
- Performance: With the Snapdragon 855+ and up to 12 GB RAM, the device was a performance beast, handling even the most demanding games with ease.
- Display: The 120Hz AMOLED display provided a buttery-smooth gaming and browsing experience.
- Battery Life: The 6000 mAh battery ensured extended gaming sessions without the need for frequent recharges.
- Gaming Features: AirTriggers, game mode optimizations, and a range of dedicated accessories made it a true gaming phone.
- Cooling System: The device featured an advanced cooling system to prevent overheating during intensive gaming sessions.
- Weight and Size: Due to its large battery and cooling mechanisms, the device was bulky and heavy.
- Camera: While decent, the camera wasn’t the best in its price range, especially when compared to non-gaming flagships.
- ROG UI: The user interface, while feature-rich for gamers, might not appeal to everyone, especially those seeking a more stock Android experience.
Comparisons to Other Technologies:
In its release period, the ROG Phone II faced competition mainly from other gaming phones and flagship devices:
- Black Shark 2 Pro: Another gaming phone with the Snapdragon 855+ and gaming-centric features.
- OnePlus 7T Pro: Offering a 90Hz display, top-tier performance, and a more mainstream design.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10: A flagship with a focus on productivity and a premium design.
The Asus ROG Phone II was announced in July 2019 and released in September 2019.
- Software Bugs: Some users reported occasional software glitches, especially in early versions of the ROG UI.
- Accessory Availability: While the device supported a range of gaming accessories, availability was an issue in some regions.
- Bulkiness: The phone’s size and weight made it less pocket-friendly and harder to use one-handed compared to other flagships.
The Asus ROG Phone II was a dream come true for mobile gaming enthusiasts. It pushed the boundaries of what a gaming smartphone could offer, from its high-refresh-rate screen to its massive battery. While it had its quirks and was not the best all-rounder, for those prioritizing gaming above all else, it was one of the top choices in its time.